Saturday, March 27, 2010

Streets of Madness: Scene 2

Scene 2: The Interview


Chaos Factor: 6

Characters: Jimi, Eddie

Threads: Find out who killed the dead guy.


The Set up: My idea to start scene two is to have Jimi go and interview the wife of the dead guy. I rolled an 8 for the modifier die so there is no modification of this concept.


The Play:


“Mrs.Rosse like to ask you a couple of questions about yesterday, it was two days ago right..”


The lady across the room from me on the couch looks at me with glazed eyes and nods a slow confirmation to my question. I’m not sure how productive this is going to be, however, we matched her husbands DNA to strands of hair from her apartment so our department had to give her the news yesterday that her husband wasn’t just missing. He was dead.


“Did he go to work?”


“I don’t know, he left for work.”


She looks at me accusingly like I’m forcing her. Maybe I should play this slow.


“Look, we could go through these questions in a couple of days if you’d like. I just like to try to get them out of the way while the events are fresher in your mind if you can handle it.”


“It’s ok Mr. Harrigan. I.... I just miss him...” She sobs a bit with her eyes on the floor.


“What did your husband do for a living?” I know the answer to this but I wanted to give her a softball question to get her started.


“He is, was, a stock broker.”


“Was he depressed?”


“No, I don’t think so,” She runs her hands along the length of her jeans, “he had his bad times like anybody. I wouldn’t say he was depressed? Do you think he did this to himself?”


“I’m not ruling out anything yet Mrs. Rosse, would you mind if I used your bathroom?”


I head back to the bathroom and pretend to take a leak. I turn on the water in the sink and look around. Maybe there is something here.


Q: Does Jimi find anything in the bathroom? [unlikely, No]

Q: Does this lady know anything or not? [50:50, Yes]


Coming back into the room from my search in the bathroom I decide to end this interview quickly.


“Look Mrs. Rosse, we can tap dance around this all day but I’m going to lay it to you straight. I think your husband was murdered, I don’t think committed suicide by climbing into a lion’s cage. I think there is a decent chance that you know something. If you want to see whoever did this brought to justice tell me what you know.”


She looks at me with fierce eyes for a moment and I think she might charge me from across her glass coffee table. Instead she gets up and walks with zombie steps back into her house. I follow.


From the bottom of a desk she pulls out a plastic file binder and places it on the top of the desk.


“Mr. Harrigan, my husband was a gambler. He would bet on anything and after some time that moved into his business practices. He came across a large sum of money during the stock boom and pulled a lot of it out before the crash. We were going to get a better house, but instead he invested a great deal of it into a little known salvage company. I don’t know what they are up to, but over the last six months he has spent more and more time with that file. The other night he spent quite a while pouring over the contents of that folder before heading out. That was the last time I saw him.”



End Scene. I lower the Chaos Factor by one since this interview worked out for Mr. Jimi.

No comments:

Post a Comment